Friday

I grew up in the age of the power ballad. If it wasn't Bon Jovi that Casey Kasam was telling me was at the top of the charts, it was Van Halen, or Motley Crue, or Journey. These songs now totally consume me when I've had too much coffee. Much speculation has come into the public forum of late on the subject of "earworms", in a way that feels suspiciously like government-issue water-cooler talk. These are the songs which for whatever reason get "stuck in one's head", and which concurrently annoy the hell out of one.
Today, the one that's getting me is Can't fight this feeling by REO speedwagon. Why, oh why, must I go through this? The only way i've ever found to get the awful torture to end is by replacing it with another, MORE annoying song. Alas, making things worse is generally considered to be a bad move. So, thanks, Kevin Cronin, and the rest of REO Speedwagon! Thanks for teaming up with Journey to make my brain a hellish mess!
I tried hating your stupid bands. That got me nowhere closer to inner peace, though, since I still hear it piped out radios every fucking goddamned day, so I tried to love it, against my will and better judgement. I downloaded songs like "wheel in the sky (keeps on turnin')", and "faithfully", and I listened to them several times in a "damn the torpedoes" attempt to reclaim the space between my ears. Well, it didn't work. Damn you, Steve Perry. When the lights go down in the city and the sun shines on the bay, I'll be thinking of your goddamned song. And damn you, too, Kevin Cronin, damn you for your songs that make me a prisoner in my own skull. I should sue you fuckers. Class action, anyone?

Uplifting quotes:
"Every minute that you're not in absolute misery you should be weeping with gratitude and thanking God at the top of your lungs." --- George Saunders

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face -- for ever"
-George Orwell

In response to the question "What did the Iraquis say to Jessica Lynch while she was being raped?" Patty answered "Baby, aren't you glad you found my weapon of (m)ass destruction?" She continues "Iraqi doctors who treated Lynch (and helped save her) said she showed NO signs of being raped. They said it back in the spring, and they say it now.
It's hard to buy the rape allegations considering that every single US-reported aspect of her "capture/rescue" turned out to be bogus."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home