Saturday

Minnesota Poll: Most say religion has role in world's conflicts... I recently came under fire from a close friend who pointed out that I was taking the atheism bent to extremes, but it interests me a great deal and I'm going at it in the only way I know how. Belaboring the point is what I know how to do, and it's a lot less antagonistic than the rhetorical invective I put up with as a matter of course. Do I want to pat myself on the back for being rational instead of sentimental? Yes, but I'm trying to avoid it because it isn't nice to be smarter than other people.

I had a conversation at about one o'clock in the morning on Jesus's birthday about religious conflicts. I made the point which according to the above article 77 per cent of (polled) Minnesotans agree with. My talking partner, an outspoken proponent of selective things biblical, said that in the bible it clearly states that the different tribes will never get along. What annoyed me was his resignation. What I was dealing with here was someone who didn't mind if the whole world exploded, because he was one of the chosen Jesus buddyroos. He was obsessed with the idea of the apocalypse. It's not like I don't want people to be fulfilled or anything, but for Pete's, can't we try to be a little more objective? No. He's made up his mind. Jesus is all that matters.
I can't just throw up my hands about it all. There is far more to life than your feelings and love. There is in this world a responsibility to others that is more important than words and worship.
Could it be any more obvious that religion does more harm than good? If asking that's putting too fine a point on it, sorry, but tippytoeing gets nowhere, and even if I make someone angry, at least I can assume I've made them think about something.
So my bad if I'm being crazy about this. Really. But every day, I read about some more people who are dead because of religion, and those people could have been me or you. It's because of the prevailing attitude toward religious matters (the one I'm ignoring, that beliefs are sacred even if they hurt other people) that this can continue. Any system that devalues life for the sake of anything else is totally insane.
What kills me is that dumb old Dale can figure this out and the middle east can't. Even our own president and vice-president are obsessed with god and that's not how it's supposed to be.
Dwight Eisenhower approved adding the words "under god" to the pledge of allegiance in 1954. As he did this he said:"In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."
Spiritual weapons in times of peace. Make sense to you? And to think that up till that point, and without the words under god, the United States had already managed to rescue the world twice. The United States is a country wherein the people are sovereign, not god. The more our government spies on us for our own good, the more we become convinced that it that knows better than its populace and is led by a righteous and all-powerful deity, the closer we get to a totalitarian state bereft of liberty, and the sooner we will all one day wonder where it all went wrong, when it was that god did us in.
And now a funny picture!! Hee!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home