Thursday

today at the hospital

-a stupid joke about a guy who was so drunk he danced at the intersection because he thought he was in the red light district
-roman management; "if we can't do it well, we'll just do more of it"
-an astonishlingly virtuosic violinist in the cancer ward, who played, among obcure classical music, "yesterday" by the beatles
-a story of a guy who got stabbed and then froze to death
-a hideous screw-up of really amazing narcotics
-nurses who pretended to ignore me, and then when I quietly asked a question of someone else, obviously weren't ignoring me at all

I fell asleep on the bus on the way home to the sound of NPR. I was awoken briefly by theme music, which I turned down, but not off.
I have always hated that theme music. They must have two hundred different performances by various groups of this five or six-second song, the very worst of which I hear about once a year. That one's a "jazz" one, the song out of tune on purpose, ostensibly done wrong rightly. Shmooth and purple-y, it never fails to play for a nausea-inducing length of time directly proportional to your distance to the radio's power switch. So that if one got up to shut it off, one knows it would be over by the time they got there. But that's just the beginning of your misery, because it's actually two or three seconds longer than you thought it would be. So you actually could have made it! But it tricked you! And once a year is too often for a disappointment as reliable as this one. I used to say that if I could make it so that certain musicians never lived so that I wouldn't have to hear their music, I'd pick Bob Seger, John Denver, and Don Henley, but I'd like to add the composer of this musical tumor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home