Sunday

The bus strike sucks. I used to take the bus to work. Dollar twenty-five each way. Now, the cab. Ten bucks each way. This article was on the cover of the sunday section of the strib.

This is about health care. Health care is very, very expensive. I wouldn't have it myself if I didn't work in a hospital AND belong to a union. Of course I'm going to say this, but they've all got it wrong. The bus workers are mad at the city council and the city council is against the wall financially, and everybody's mad at everybody, because healthcare is a basic human right and there is no system in place to insure that if you need it, you get it, as a citizen of the greatest blah blah blah.

The hideous oversimplification:

If there was more $, it would work out just fine, and if the state could squeeze more money out of its citizens it would. We've reached an uncomfortable equilibrium, with people being taxed what they consider enough, and the state standing around kicking rocks shrugging about its inability to afford anything. Why does healthcare cost so much, anyway? Insurance companies have to show a profit, that's why. Health insurance should be held in the public trust at the very least, and I think our government should cover every citizen. Isn't looking out for its citizens the government's job? If not, what is? I just can't get this thought together the way I want to because I have a lot to do and I never write any of it down, so it stresses me out till I get it done. I think the bus strike addresses a symptom rather than the disease of our times. People don't have healthcare and that's crap. We're all so selfish that as long as we and ours are covered, it really doesnt matter, till it hits us in the pocketbook. Every day is one day closer to the day the little people put it together they're being had and stop taking shit from the SUV set that puddle-splashes them while they wait obediently for a bus. It boils down to classism, and it's time to shake things up a little around here. What is it going to take for this situation to change?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home