Saturday

Most of the suffering of my current "common cold" is over, leaving just the occasional sharp pain behind my eardrum and a nasally voice. It reminds me of when I was young and often had sinus infections. Once when I was young (I was a radio child) I called to request that the local deejay play in-a-gadda-davida and dust in the wind. This was a wet dream for the deejay; I later found out that in the "industry" these two songs and a couple more are called "shitters", because they are both so long that they afford the deejay the opportunity to leave the studio for a long time. The deejay might have been afraid the management would find out that he had played these song back to back so he cut our conversation onto a tape which he played on the air, right before the greatest half-hour of radio I've ever heard. It went like this:

"WXVL?

Yes, my name is nale and i'n like to request a couple of songs please.

Nale?

Dale.

Ok, what would you like to hear, Dale?

In-a-ganna-navina an nust in the win.

Ok, comin' up. This is double you EX vee ell, Crossville."

So yeah, my one big radio performance in life was on a late-night small-town station, when I was embarrassed on the air for my chirpy, nasally voice. I am proud of the selections, though.

So now that the worst of the cold is over I can stop worrying about not having accomplished notoriety (any field would do as well as any other) and get back to what I do best, which is being fascinated by almost everything, and putting in an honest day's work. Not that I missed work for my cold. That was kind enough to occur on my days off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home