Friday

I went to watch "the corporation" last night at the recommendation of a friend who normally steers me right. It was great, but it influenced my dreams negatively. Cops were kicking the you-know-what out of people in my dreams all night. It's a good film; makes me think I should be losing more sleep over the state of things, and not jut child labor for pennies, though it's horrible, not just the ecological disaster resulting from (the movie is fond of mentioning, and it's right) "plundering", but for me, the cultural void created by the overpowering aggregation of branding. This is not solely a result of the movie. I was always sickened that a handful of companies sell so much of what I see every day, advertisements, products, advertisements ON products, ON people, ON every surface. It's like I'm in somebody else's dream and I want to wake them up. Seeing that idea expounded upon in the movie, while it's the most tragic pity visited on my homeland in the modern age (other than needless violence), actually made me feel good; as if I'm finally not the only one noticing*. It can be pretty lonely when you notice the insidium. Ok, that's not a word, but neither is "usurption" a word that is used by someone in that movie. The word is usurpation. I was sure enough to lean over and whisper that to Joyce but had to look it up to be sure. And then the party REALLY got started! Boo-yow! Well, no one said it would be a thriller twenty-four seven.

I looked up my hometown newspaper and thought about ordering a subscription, and then realized I ain't got that kind of money to piss away. Another shattered dream. Whimper.

Well, gmail me if I miss anything. Soul Calibur 2 is pretty engrossing, especially after Joyce bought me a book about how to be better at it. Lots of Bs in that sentence.

*This is an important distinction to make and to punctuate, but I know other people notice, especially here in my urban enclave, where we tag the stop signs with the word "bush", the S in bush being a swastika. What a rocking stencil. But the more people notice, the less funny looks I'll get when I wear a t-shirt on which I've markered "ad free space". Everybody should be reacting to the loss of public space. Wherever your eyes wander, they see something that a marketer thought to put there, and it stinks. Now I'm just bitching. Damn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home