Saturday

In Tennessee, especially in Crossville and the surrounding area, crystal meth is a serious problem. It's made with a bunch of stuff that is legal to buy and own, including sudafed. At a store called Big Lots yesterday I saw that if someone wants to buy sudafed they have to show photo ID and can only buy one box at a time.

I got here in time for the world's biggest tag sale. Highway 127 is avustle with literally hundreds of miles of junk. For some, heaven. For me, a traffic issue. Early in the process of discovering it was all most likely the same crap every year, just moved around amd sold by different people, I almost bought a jar that said "University of Toledo" and then I remembered an article a friend wrote called "terminal kitsch" and set it down again. There is such a thing as too much dumb garbage. Of course, things would have been different if it were a coffee mug. Walking down the highway (the sale runs from ohio to alabama) I saw a bunch of old signage. It hit me that the only place you see that variety of Americana is in TGIMcFriedthing's...

America used to have a lot of tin signs hanging in it that sold products based on their Quality. Then when Style took over it bought those old signs and hung them up so that people could pay a lot of money to eat bad food while thinking about the proud commercial traditions of their homeland. Or something. Maybe you can finish that thought for me.

Stuff here is cheap and it's actually dark at night. And there are no black people. Other than that, it's just like Minneapolis. And no gay people. But other than that, it's just like... and christian stuff on cars, in yards, on the radio, on people, churches lining every street, but other than that, it's just like... and you can't buy sudafed without the FBI being alerted. I guess there are some differences. More to come.

I don't have time to goof around on the internet and find interesting links, so if you see any, please drop me a line in creepy gmail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home