Tuesday

I finished "the stranger" by Albert Camus last night; if I'd have known how much I'd love it, I'd have read it a long time ago. No one's borrowing it, though. My days of loaning out books to people are over. Mainly because I've done that so much I don't even remember what books I've read any more. It helps having them around to refer to.

Starting Berlin Diary by William Shirer, a reading copy of which I got from my mom for my birthday.

August 2, 1934
Hindenburg died this morning. Who can be president now? What will Hitler do?

August 3, 1934
Hitler did what no one expected. He made himself both President and Chancellor. Any doubts about the loyalty of the army were done away with before the old field-marshal's body was hardly cold. Hitler had the army swear an oath of unconditional obedience to him personally. The man is resourceful.


In light of what happened next, this is riveting, and couldn't be any more ominous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home