Monday

I went over to Saint Paul today to iron out a few details for school. On the way there, I changed buses, but my book did not. I hope that Berlin Diary, by William L. Shirer, enjoys its new owner. Fortunately, I have another copy.

As a bookmark inside, I was using a rather good original artistic rendering of unsaturated, saturated, and trans fats, which I was planning to use for tonight's webcast in aiding me to explain the differences between them. I may not have time to find notes as good as those, so my explanation might be sub par. So you know, trans fats are terrible for your body. Throw away anything you have that has partially hydrogenated oil in it, and never buy anything containing it again. Refuse to eat partially hydrogenated oil. That's an order, mister.

The 21 bus back to Minneapolis was packed with smelly vagrants. Nasty. To kill time I decided to busy myself with a geometry problem. I took a circle, drew an equilateral triangle in it with its points on the circle, and said that if the circle had a radius of 4, what is the area of the triangle? Not too tough-sounding, the kind of thing Euclid would have done while blinking, but I couldn't figure it out no matter what I tried. There I was, surrounded by mumbling stinking vagrants, about half of whom were smiling the smiles of the mentally ill, like a schizophrenic graphomaniac drawing circles and triangles. I was a retarded version of the mad scientist. Any suggestions for how to accomplish the area's calculation from scratch will be welcome.

--EDIT--

The bum across from me, when I told him what I was trying to do, said "Twenty-two seven." I said, "What?", and he said "Twenty-two seven. That's it. Twenty-two seven." I said, "That doesn't make any sense!" Then he was quiet for the rest of the trip. Which is good. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's crazy bums who pretend to be smart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home