Saturday

I got a kick out of this article entitled "wedded bliss".
I mean, how can you not read an article called that? It's like an onion article, but real.
These two honkies don't have a very developed sense about themselves or their relationship. This, coupled with their love of talking about themselves, is what gives the article its distinctive flavor, which I can't figure out if we're supposed to laugh at them for, or learn from.
The Albert Lea Tribune

On a sad note, there is bad news that brings me to browsing the Albert Lea newspaper on a Saturday morning at six AM. A good friend has been in an automobile accident. His name is Newman, and all I know without looking up his parents, is that my ex-girlfriend, who is a friend of his girlfriend's, called last night with the disturbing news that she received a phone call from Newman's distraught girlfriend, who said he was having back surgery. In case anyone hears more, let me know. In the meantime, I'll be looking up his parental units, the only way I know to find him. I understand the distressed girlfriend was less than helpful in nailing down any actual locations.

Last night miss wonderful and I drank wine and read about a third of Samuel Beckett's play Waiting for Godot, which Rania left in my mailbox. We read it aloud. I think there are a total of three characters, and only two main ones, so it's really pretty easy for two people to read. As I was saying yesterday, and this has been going on for months, but there's not a week that goes by without me reading somewhere that phrase, "waiting for godot". I have suspected it's fancy-talk for "an exercise in futility" or "a waste of time", but maybe with an extra emphasis on something, like being miserable in the meantime. No that I'm actually going to understand what the deal is, I'd like to write to someone who wrote that phrase and ask them exactly what it means to them, and see if they actually know, or whether it's just "the thing to write" in east coast intellectual journals and, of course, elsewhere. Now that a little guy like me is talking about it, though, it might be dying down, the way retro shirts became less fashionable after stores like JCPenney got them. In fashions of all stripes, it's apparently not fun if everybody's in on it.

If anyone wants to celebrate the movie that is Platoon, get in touch. Feb 21, barring unforeseen circumstances, I'm drinking Jack Daniels and watching Platoon at a friend's house. So come with! And if you can't make it, register for a drunken phone call from yours truly by sending me an email! Party! It really shouldn't be that bad, but the Jack Daniels thing is happening.

Well, the week at school was grueling. I haven't been telling all about what we're doing regularly for some reason, but we're now making winding stems, which I can't find a picture of right now.They're 20 millimeters long and have nine sections which all have to be in tolerances of +/-0.03 mm, in all dimensions. There's filing, threading that goes on, it's pretty complicated and a lot of work. And I screwed up Thursday's. The assignment was finish five by the end of Tuesday and it ain't gonna happen for Dale. Some people are actually going to be finished, and that's what bothers me. So that's why I'm going to kill everybody. No, they don't deserve to die. They deserve better grades than me. And they will get them.

So have a great weekend! Go outside, pop the cork out of a really good imported Czech beer that's at about fifty degrees, and watch the girls pass by. Unless you're a pretty girl, in which case you should put some nice clothes on, find a guy drinking a really nice Czech beer, and pass by him. Maybe he'll have a spare.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home