Thursday

Sandvik

Sandvik is a company that makes a kind of metal that I use every day at watchmaking school. It's a steel bar two millimeters across, and it costs four bucks a centimeter. That's good steel. It cuts like butter with the HSS gravers; my problem is now that I'm going too fast. It's actually too easy to cut. Not a complaint you want getting back to the instructor or it's back to old chippy, the occlusion-riddled volcanic artifact passing for steel we were using before. You could be cutting that stuff and hit a piece of quartz the size of your knuckle. The new stuff's made in Sweden, I understand. Really good stuff. I hope we don't run out.

The stem-making is going fine. Today I was pretty much getting to know the material again after five days without touching anything watch-related. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get one done and threaded by two o'clock, when it's off to work. We have short school days Friday, which is nice for my work schedule.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home