Thursday

If life had evolved differently, if there were somehow three strands of dna instead of only two, life as we know it would operate very differently. Sexual selection would be more complex if it took three organisms to reproduce, which would never occur due to the expected economic advantages of a double helix, but it's an interesting thought experiment. How would these organisms behave? Comedians would have to work a lot harder, for one thing. None of this "women be like this, and men be like that! hahahaha!" crap.

I've been sitting here commiserating with my brother and fiancee (who is up before her wake-time) about the weather today, which is supposed to be one of the hottest days of the year, 95F and 100% humid, and forgot where that thought was headed. Damn. I hope that as a result of not linking to every site on the internet my ability to concentrate will return and these lapses (I almost wrote palsies, hmm) will decrease in frequency.

The air conditioner I bought at target was the biggest one they had. It's a "Haier", which is the chinese company which is bidding 1.3 Bil for Maytag corporation. I want america to be number one and everything, but shit, I needed an air conditioner. (Thanks to everyone who bridal showered the lovely J with the required money to buy that thing.)

I read a news story this morning about how a chinese state-owned oil company (China National Offshore Oil Corporation) is bidding to buy Unocal. The story says that "CNOOC is being advised by an army of bankers from Goldman Sachs, J. P. Morgan Chase and N M Rothschild & Sons of Britain." So it's not like the far east is just steamrolling us. Our guys are going to help sell our economy down the river in such a way as to maximize their profit-taking. That's the way of the world I guess, and my understanding of it is definitely limited, but I'm smart enough to know that when everything is owned by the chinese government, they aren't going to be hustling to make life easy for the americans they put out of work. Feel free to berate me for my dumb-assness where this is concerned. I'd rather be wrong and learn something than be a big pussy with no comments enabled (Lileks).

Yesterday at watch school I centered what will be my balance bridge using a very old technique involving a long stick. I was lining it up looking out the window and realized my focal point in the distance was a humongous stained glass window of the cathedral, and it gave me pause. I could have been doing this exact thing four hundred years ago. It was cool. Then the Napoleon Dynamite t-shirt wearing guy (yes, he had it on) from my class came over and annoyed me back to annoying reality. Fucking young people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home