Saturday

I checked in with young Nathan the other day at his blog, on which I recently caught him pondering the same things I was pondering at the age of thirteen, about why god acts like he does, what kind of guy he must be. I decided to do to him what I wish had been done to me at the time I was drooling about all this and smack him around a little. He's been a good sport, if a little passive, about the whole thing, but a reader of his hasn't been too happy about my heavy-handed antics. His name is Matthew Coker, and according to his blogger profile, he's "a Christian, a church-goer, a friend, a counselor, a church secretary, a nice guy, a husband, a church media director, a son, an uncle, and a dying breed." Kind of makes you want to puke, no, I mean cry, doesn't it? I guess the good ones really ARE gone!

What a STUD! (I don't know about the dying breed thing, but have some more high fructose corn syrup and you will die, or at the very least wind up with some wicked diabetes. Kick the habit, man. Despite the goatee, everybody knows there's another chin back there.)
Here's his blog:
It's A Hard Blog Life 2

The abundant (in knowledge, of course) Clovis, self-proclaimed fan of everybody's favorite bestselling primitive revenge fantasy, the left behind book series, decided he'd tell me, on this comment page:
"But somethings that can be proved are how young the earth actually is. If you ever open up your mind a bit, you can check into the real facts about how old the earth is, because without billions of years, the evolution theory would be impossible. Fact is, the evidence we have proves the earth is only about 10,000 years old. The only theory taht would work in the time frame is Creationism."

Then he calls me a sheep.

Then he gives this beautiful little paragraph:
"Sure, we can't prove the existence of God, because no one has ever seen him. But I've never seen the wind either, yet I know it's there because I see it's effects. If you can bend your mind around that and open your eyes, you'd see God plain as day."

How could I be such a fool!? I've wasted all that time not taking into account this simple yet completely irrefutable analogy! The wind! God! Right there the whole time, just waiting to be discovered!

I think I'll keep my mind the way it is, unbent around things. Different people go about worldviews in different ways but I think if you say there's a god you ought to have to prove it, not infer it. Those are the basic rules of science, which was invented by Isaac Newton. Science establishes facts, which are called facts for a reason. If you can't use facts, you sort of, well, have no argument. For help winning anyway, here's a big page of logical fallacies.

Thanks for making my night, abundant M. Clovis. It will be my pleasure to mock gaily any future correspondence you decide to bless me with. And do let me know about that proof the earth is only ten thousand years old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home