Wednesday

The lovely J and I got a new refrigerator the other day, a supa-deluxe style one that lets you choose, as you stand in front of it, whether you'd like the ice it dispenses to be crushed or cubed. Too fancy for ol' tap water Dale. We went to Target to buy one of those big PUR fridge things, the water filter that holds a gallon or so, like a pitcher but bigger... (why do I feel like I'm losing a game of pictionary here?) you know what I mean, and on the way home, the dreaded weirdo in the parking lot. At first when you're accosted by a weirdo in a parking lot, you think he's going to ask you for directions. They put that out there, sort of. The "I'm just going to ask you for directions" vibe. Then all of a sudden, it's actually money they need. Like anywhere else, once I realize it's my money that people want, our time together is over, but the thing that got me was that he was
1) driving a van and
2) talking about how he ran out of gas a few blocks back.
The story went something like "Yeah, you know, I was about three blocks back and ran out of gas and I had about this much in a lawn mower can and now I've got (laughs, looks at palm) about fifty-five cents left and..."

Since when do beggars drive around begging?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home