Wednesday

watch school

This week we took all the oiling data we've gotten and threw it all together. We cleaned, oiled, and assembled our watches, and got graded.

My grade wasn't too great but not so bad it took my average down significantly. My escapement oiling was a little heavy (even though it looked great when I did it, lesson there), the jewels all about right, and the cap jewels on the balance were perfect. As they should be. It's a fortunate area that there's no excuse not to get perfect, since it's easy to tell what's happening visually. A gimme, if you will, built into the grading system. My oiling on posts was fine, and I was a little light on the sliding surfaces throughout winding/setting. The big ugly surprise came with the spots that are all over everything. But they're all over everybody's so it's ok. Looks like the cleaning solution was a little dirty. When that happens we just have to use the leather buff, or if it's bad enough, rewash.

I think my least favorite part of the automatic watch cleaners is the drying cycle. It gets the watch really hot and I don't know if that's necessary. That might serve to discolor and bake on any glumps of shmutz floating about in the used solutions. I don't see why we shouldn't periodically change the solutions, but I don't want them getting changed constantly for no reason, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home