Friday

The lovely J and I went to Tryg's last night down by the lake and it was great. We were celebrating her first day on the actual floor as an R.N. I'm proud of her. It's strange that after all that school there's actually the job you went to school for waiting at the end. I'm sure that as a watchmaker I'll be just as surprised. (Some of this sentiment is likely a holdover from my adolescent and young adult belief that I wouldn't live to see tomorrow, every single day.)

She had the gnocchi and I had a steak. (There are three steaks on the menu, a Kobe, a Kansas City steak, and a steak on top of a salad.) The food was great and not unreasonable. A friend of mine has actually made it far enough up the chef-ing ladder to get his name on the menu, which is cool to see. The one night we go in there and he's got the night off. Even a rising star must take time off.

Their bar menu is the way to go for economy. That one's got some dishes I recognize from the bar menu at Lurcat. Ahi tuna tartare, and the miniature burgers, and something else I think. The service was exactly what you want. Not obseqious but not pushy, not overfriendly, but not unengaging. Servers have a hard job. They have to figure out where to fit into the lives of the people they're waiting on after not having long to size them up. Carrying the food to the table is cake. Knowing what kind of distance to keep from the over-lipsticked, "kept", boob job bimbos, high maintenance personified, that's no mean feat, and since those women have lots of money and free time, they wind up getting waited on a lot.

Today school and work and tomorrow work and the next day work and then school all week but wait! Reprieve!
Monday (rare holiday, unrelated to war... must remember to catalog all the American holidays with the war-related ones in one column and everything else in another for size comparison) J and I are going up to the best damn town in America, Duluth, to drag our heels through the gravel lakeside. I love it up there and want to convince her it's great, too, so that we can live there someday. Pipe dreams, of course; no major watch manufacturers have offices or factories there. But I love it. It's a litte cold for her*, she says.

*Not the exact words she employed. Use your imagination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home