Sunday

uncle

Every year the same music plays from the day after thanksgiving till Christmas. That's a little over a twelfth of the year. I'll turn thirty next year and I've spent my entire life in the states.

Crank all this data through your think bone and what comes out is that I have spent well over two solid years of my life listening to the same Christmas music. I can't estimate the effect this monotony has had on my mind, but I have a feeling it isn't for the best.

Listening to the same music might not bother some people, but I am not one of them. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired of Christmas music. Maybe next year I won't go anywhere from Thanksgiving till Christmas is over.

You know what you can learn, what you can do, in two years? A hell of a lot more than listen to the same goddamn carols grinding out, day after day after day.

Christmas Carols, you suck!

--+update+--
I was a little hard on the Christmas Carols. I think it's just the media saturation that bothers me. Life evolved for millions of years without the benefit of sound reproduction technology, and I am feeling the resulting culture shock at this time of year. Suddenly it's winter and everywhere you go you're inside, and all those places are places you have to spend money to be in, and they play whatever they want, which is invariably Christmas music. I don't know how that war on Christmas worked out, if Christmas died or whatever, but I didn't hear any Ramadan or Kwanzaa carols anywhere I was this year. Maybe in red state America, where there are lots of terrorists and that's why it's cool if we give up our freedom, they play lots of songs about Allah at Wal-Mart. I guess they must, really, for all the bitching I hear out of them about multiculturalism.

So sorry Christmas Carols, but you're overplayed, and it's not your fault I don't like you. I probably wouldn't like Bob Seger if the clossic rock station overplayed him either. Hmm. Maybe I'll go play a little "On the road again" later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home