Tuesday

I woke up thinking of a word I thought I had heard a long time ago, a British insult. When I went to look it up it wasn't there. I thought I'd just make mention of it because I think my memory of it is accurate and I wanted to leave a record of it to affirm anyone else's curiosity who may be thinking of it and goes and googles it. The word is "criff", and I think it meant something close to riff-raff. It's important when hurling British insults to use the appropriate number of syllables, otherwise you can't get the right tempo and force. It may be a dying art, the colorful insulting of people.

These two sites left me empty-handed but they're fun to look through anyway.

A dictionary of slang - "C" - Slang and colloquialisms of the UK.

BBC America - Dictionary

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home