Wednesday

Dear the makers of olives,

I find fault with your chosen method of wording. I was looking for olives without the pits in them today and kept finding the word "pitted" on the package. Does that mean they have the pits in them, or that the pits have been removed? To make matters worse, the mental exercise of reversing the term to try to understand what the case is not, doesn't help either: "unpitted". See? Even "nonpitted" is of no help. "Non-unpitted" is every bit as useful as "pitted", and that is stupid and should be addressed.

After finally giving up and buying the things, I made the exciting discovery that "pitted" means there aren't any pits in the olives. It gave me an idea. I recommend you try the word "pitless" instead of "pitted", as it would remove all doubt and meets the requirement that the packaging not be too wordy.

Thanks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home