Wednesday

we gets email!

An old buddyroo rattles in:

hey dale!

a friend of mine is in Iran right now as a tourist. only about 150 americans/year get to tour that country. it's taken him a year and half to get the visa and he's seen some amazing things from that country. he started a blog to chronicle his travels-- it's

http://www.pars06.blogspot.com/

my favorite--the soldier who stops him in the street and interrogates him as to where he's from. nervously he says "america" and the soldier tells him that he knows all about america--kerouac, ginsburg, etc. and this soldier has markings on his uniform that denote his having attained a masters degree. lets learn something about these people before we bomb the hell out of them.


Your email makes me wonder if my distaste for all things beat does not normally extend to the masters degree crowd. I can't stand Ginsberg and Kerouac, myself, and would be interested to hear from others on why their work was so epoch-making. Was the establishment before them so monolithic I can't appreciate how radical their break was? Maybe, but American Haikus still makes me shrug.

Besides my need for a culture-shower with the author of "sphincter" (oh god. now I do need a shower.), I wish the best of luck to your friend, and I'll be giving his blog a sift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home