Thursday

At the pharmacy I work at, we recently had a drawing. Everybody wrote their favorite song on a piece of paper and submitted it, and in the end somebody won something like five dollars at Starbucks. The real prize was for everyone later, when the list got published of what everybody's favorite song was.

You can tell a lot about people by what their favorite songs are. One lady, we'll call her Rita, picked "wind beneath my wings" by Bette Midler. Rita must have a sad, sad life.

Several people went with CCR, and Buddy Holly showed up a couple of times.

I picked "let down" by radiohead, which probably says something about me I don't know.

A lady we'll call Tressa's favorite song was my all time least favorite song, "walking in memphis" by Marc Cohn. It wasn't a joke on me, either, which I could understand someone doing, at least. I don't tell people I work or go to school with about my dislike for that particular song because it's too serious and personal. I fail to see anything redeeming about this aural excrescence, any reason to postpone the banishment of the foulness that is walking in memphis to Elba. If they knew, they could spring it on me as a joke to amuse themselves sometime, or tell me they thought of me the other day when it was on, and that's exactly the kind of thing I want to avoid, the way Arnold Schwarzenegger probably wants to avoid being talked to about this video.

There was a guy on that list, (real name) Tim F., whose favorite song, it said, was "Do not move" by the david crowder band. Tim's thinks it's 1950 and his wife should stay home mastering the art of the casserole, and that George Bush is awesome, that Rush is right, and that hell is real. Tim's also the guy who kept asking me if I'd seen pirates of the Carribean back in the day, if you've been reading this blog for a long time.

So never having heard of this song or this band and sensing a hoot was soon to be had, I looked it up on the internet. Here are the lyrics to Tim's favorite song:
I don't want to move and I don't think I could.
I don't want to move and I don't think I should.
I don't want to move.
No, I don't want to move.
I don't want to move and I don't think I could.

Breathe in deeper now.
Breathe in deeper now.
Breathe in deeper, breathe in now.

The costliest of costs.
The deadliest of loss.
The wonder of the cross.
The breath of life that stops,
The hope of Heaven bought.
The wonder of the cross.
The wonder of the cross.

Breathe in deeper now (The wonder of the cross).
Breathe in deeper now (The wonder of the cross).
Breathe in deeper now (The wonder of the cross).
Breathe in now.

I don't want to move.

Poor Tim. Poor Tim's wife. Poor me for having to know him and poor you for having to hear about him. Tim's darkening the lives of people he will never know in ways he will never understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home