Wednesday

At watch school we're going through the 955, which is a swiss quartz movement with day/date. We're learning how the calendar operates with the various jumpers and wheels and whatnot.

My instructor, who is capable and knows much, can lecture for hours at a stretch. I recently told a guy (who I have yet to hear back from, by the way) who wanted to have some kind of religious debate with me for --his idea, this-- the benefit of a science class that if it was an argument class it would serve a purpose; likewise, if our final exam was on how to listen to lecture, I'm sure we'd all get a big juicy A if we took it tomorrow. As it is, we're expected to go through a bunch of different watches and clean, adjust, oil, and reassemble them without screwing up, after which we get a nice certificate that says we're good people and school has been worth it.

What I should be focusing on is not my instructor having the occasional propensity to over-do it. This whole going to school thing is about me not having to work as a pharmacy bitch forever. So during lecture, if I can't stay tuned in to it (with all due respect, no one can speak for hours at a time without settling into a pattern that can be hard to focus on indefinitely) I grab a book and space out on the pretty colors and familiarize myself with the nomenclature.

I like being a student not for what it is as much as what it isn't. Specifically, there's an irritating element of work-iness missing from it, the one where if you screw up they can your ass and you have to go out and look for a job again, and where your manager is a jerk whose job is to get the most work out of you he possibly can so you're always tempted to tell him to fuck off except that looking for work sucks even more, because you have no money and you will wind up under the highway with a cardboard sign that says something about how you're a veteran even though you're not. I've always meant to do that on my day off to scrounge up a couple extra bucks, but I never seem to make the time.

If I had time I'd be playing sissyfight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home