Saturday

my Hannity week

I listened to Sean Hannity on my drive home this week, and it was very educational. I learned about repetition on an epic scale. I learned that nothing has to mean anything as long as people want to believe it. Sean Hannity boils down to one thing, one phenomenon. It's all about the slogans, which are now in our feel-good world euphemistically called "talking points".

Sean Hannity runs through his talking points constantly, and it isn't at all difficult to tell what they are. This week it was "how does house speaker Pelosi sound to you", and her "San Francisco values". Presumably this chills the blood of all of red America. It's a self-taxonomic last-ditch effort at rallying the base, which I guess never tires of rallying. When I think about what they have to believe, and how long they've done it, I collapse from vicarious exhaustion.

If he's on the line with "a liberal" which is a rhetorical form of objectifying and identifying the enemy, by the way, he'll say "I know you're just running through the talking points" and at the exact same time he's running through his like the Jesse Owens of talk radio. It's sad that a man this dumb can enjoy any measure of popularity.

Each question is framed. Literally, every single question is loaded with associations and slogans, so that it makes a statement. And that statement is all that can get traction in the mind of the listeners, because every question is a complete informational vacuum. Each of these questions is not a question at all, but a delivery device. I can't remember any sentences now but fortunately he's on some channel constantly if you want to see for yourself. The substance is one-dimensional, an incredibly obvious and successful experiment in branding.

Notable callers: A guy called up "I'm an ex-marine and if you or your family ever need a security detail...". Another guy called up and asked when he should move from Ohio to Virginia, based on where his vote was needed most.

People worship this clown. I'm done with him, just wanted to see what the deal was with Sean Hannity, red America's sweetheart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home