Tuesday

update

I deserve a big pat on the back for not commenting on all the flickr pages of people with pictures like this, with their potpourri-scented hallmark titles: "WOW! It looks like GOD lives there!" That activity alone could keep me pretty busy, since there's so much affectedly tender bilge to nauseate me.

Anyhow, I have bigger fish to fry on the internet these days. To say that the internet wasn't made to find watch jobs would be accurate in synthesizing the point, but it would metaphorically be putting the cart before the horse; due to the temporal relativity of the two technologies, it's not the latter's fault. It was made to help people communicate about anything, but the watch world hasn't reached back for the baton. They want lots of papers. They like to set them down and glance at them and think about them. If the power goes out, the paper just sits there obediently like it has for a thousand years. There are no cursors, advantage paper. When paper gets rumpled nobody has to call tech support either. Still, you'd think if a place wanted watchmakers they'd use every means available to find them, and I can think of a really good one. I don't have to continue.


A kind of roundup.

Media:
The negativland speech that came in 8 parts from WFMU is great, and I hope everyone gets a chance to hear it.

I finally put it together that if I subscribed to the podcast feeds of different magazines I'd have something good to listen to all the time, so I did, and do. Nature, new scientist, the list goes on. One of these days I'll figure out how to post my feedlist as an OPML here and it will be easy for you all to preview it. Because that would be great.

The Aaron Russo movie about taxes looks great, I've seen the first 45 minutes or so.

Family:
One of my brothers did well on his MCAT so it looks like he won't have to work as a research assistant (the Hitler of mice) in perpetuity. After more processing he'll choose some place; he's virtually medical school bound.

My other brother is getting ready for a wheelchair test to satisfy some state requirement about insurance, disability, and so on. I understand this only as far as it's a fact of life in a healthcare system as complex as the one that has evolved in Tennessee. I wonder if he can get little stickers made for handicapped republicans to put on their wheelchairs that say
"Let's roll" - President G. W. Bush.

My mother finally has her dream job, tromping through the woods looking for endangered plants.

Weather:
Things finally cooled off a little up in Minnesota again. After our trusty indian summer of 80 degrees, two days later it snowed. Now it's the rainy autumn for a tenuous interval, and then the big freeze. In Minnesota you might not like what you get but you know what you're getting, and you have to like that.

School:
We continue to work on the Lemania 1873 (the Omega 861) chronograph, the ETA 2892, and the ETA 955, for which I drew up a rough draft of a testing sheet last night. I don't know what else to say about school, it just seems like it's going on forever. People drop parts on the floor and then we all help them find them and start over.

That about does it.

7 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks about people dropping parts on the floor. Is there any kind of protector to catch stuff, or high edge to the table you work on to prevent that? It just seems like one of the last situations that you'd want to drop something.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Blogger dale said...

Sadly there's no way to prevent dropping parts. You get better at not dropping them, but even the best people in the world occasionaly get a squirrely part.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a general statement.
Even the best people in the world occasionally get a squirrely part.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

though of course, the parts I'm talking about, are body parts.

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Blogger dale said...

Like a wiener?

 
At Tuesday, October 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or what about a big ol boner? what about that?

 
At Thursday, October 19, 2006, Blogger dale said...

Actually, I'm mainly talking about springs and screws.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home